Monday, September 7, 2009

RECIPE: Everything-But-The-Tomato Salsa

This was a recipe that was given to me by a family member. At that time, the recipe was called "California Cobb Salad," but that name never seemed to work for me. A Cobb salad has avocado and hard boiled egg, right? But this stuff doesn't. I started calling it a "fresh salsa," but that wasn't working for me either, because there aren't any tomatoes in it. So, while I was typing up this post, I came up with a new name - one that works MUCH better, in my opinion.

Everything-But-The-Tomato Salsa
2 cans of Niblets corn, drained
2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 of a large red onion, diced
1 and 1/2 C diced peppers (I never measure this. I just use 1 green pepper, 1 orange pepper, and 1 red pepper.)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped fine

4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 - 3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt

Heat the vinegar and sugar just to dissolve the sugar. Don't let the vinegar boil.
After dissolving the sugar, remove from heat, add cumin and salt. Set aside while you chop and dice the veggies.
Mix remaining ingredients (the veggies) in a large mixing bowl. Pour liquid mixture over and stir well to coat.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Keeps well in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Serve with tortilla chips (the Scoops variety of Tostitos works well). Can also be served over salads or with any kind of Mexican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, just remember to play nicely!